JEAN BOSCO BAKUNZI BIOGRAPHY
“I see painting as a special medium that allows me to explore my ideas, creativity, and emotions. When I am producing art, I feel free with my style, and I am empowered to enjoy the movement of my tools. In choosing my subjects, I find inspiration in nature, my surroundings and everyday life…”
I was born in 1985 in Kigali, Rwanda. While I have been an artist my entire life, I have been creating art professionally since 2005. I am influenced by many artists; however, I am a self-taught artist.
As I have grown in my career, my work has become semi-abstract, and I sometimes show surrealist expressions. I often use a comb to create textures within my paintings. The comb helps me create fluidity and movement, allowing me to fully express my feelings in my work. Throughout my career, I have been motivated by the belief that “art has the power to heal people physically, mentally, and emotionally.”
With this belief in mind, I founded Rwanda’s leading art centre, “Uburanga Arts Studio” in March 2010. This studio brings together the most skilled and talented artists from all over the country with the goal of developing Rwanda’s fine art scene.
I donate my time teaching arts and crafts to orphans and vulnerable children. I have also spent time working and volunteering at Rwandan orphanages and hospitals painting bright and playful murals that have been sponsored by both private individuals and NGOs.
Organizer of Youth Football For Peace Tournament in Rwanda; with a goal of promoting Peace and Reconciliation and encourage children to take care of their skills. This Tournament happens every year since 2011 in Kigali-Rwanda.
- The Sparkling Waves (umuhengeri) at Culturhaus Niederanven; Luxembourg.
- Life and Challenges at B.A.N.D (Black artists network’s in Dialogue) Toronto, ON; Canada
- Strength mixed media art exhibition at Uburanga Arts Studio
- Thousand Hills at Banana Hill Art Gallery, Nairobi, Kenya
- The Feelings at Kigali International Airport, Kigali, Rwanda
- My Dream, at Heaven Kigali, Rwanda
- Rwanda meets Rheinhessen (Ruanda trifft Rhernhessen) at Kaiserbad Gallery in westhofen, Reineland-Palatinate, Germany.
- Hello East Africa at Inganzo Art Gallery; Kigali, Rwanda.
- Uburanga Art Exhibit at United States Embassy, Kigali, Rwanda
- Creative for Change: A benefit art exhibition for Rwandan Street children at Hallway Gallery, USA
- Rwanda Goes East Africa at Goethe Institute, Kigali, Rwanda
- Ivuka Arts Studio at United States Embassy, Kigali, Rwanda
- Uburanga Arts Studio Launching Exhibition at Uburanga Arts Studio, Kimihurura, Kigali, Rwanda
- Jazz Band for Peace: Celebrating Rwanda Commitment for Ending Violence against Women and Children at Serena Hotel, Kigali, Rwanda.
- East Africa Biennale (EASTFAB) in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- East Africa Biennale 2009
- Hello East Africa 2010
- The Sparkling Waves
|The World As We See It. Acrylic on canvas(36"x50")|
|Elegancy. Acrylic on canvas(24"x32")|
|Immigration. Acrylic on canvas(24"x32")|
|Cerebration. Oil on canvas|
|A Maremade Close To The Red Mountains. Acrylic on canvas|